Welcome to Darin Fong Audio
Developers of Out Of Your Head software
virtual speaker software for headphones
only $149 with one speaker preset.
an out of head experience
Virtual speaker software for headphones
Out Of Your Head is advanced audio software that replicates the experience of listening to high-end speakers using only headphones. The listener can listen to audio with the sound of different speakers and home theater systems with the affordability, privacy, and portability of just headphones. The sound is no longer inside your head, like conventional headphones—it comes from “out of your head,” as it does when you are listening to speakers and home theater systems.
Out Of Your Head is a breakthrough in audio processing software for headphones. It allows the listener to experience their music or movie as if they were actually sitting in the room with the speakers that were measured—but without having to actually be there. Think of it as audio “virtual reality.” If you close your eyes while listening to Out Of Your Head, you can “hear” the exact location of each of the 8 speakers in the room around you. You can even hear the sound reflecting off the walls. You can hear the difference between different models and brand of speakers.
Unlike traditional or existing “virtual surround-sound” processing and hardware that is currently available, Out Of Your Head does not simulate or create a virtual sound environment. Existing technologies do work to some extent in getting the sound sources out of your head, but they are far from accurate. Out Of Your Head plays back the sound exactly as you would hear it if you were actually sitting in the room with the speakers.
You have to hear it to believe it! Download the free trial here.
Alternately, if you just want to hear some sample output from Out Of Your Head, you can listen to pre-rendered demo files here.
Out Of Your Head Features:
- Out Of Your Head works with any pair of existing headphones or ear buds. No additional hardware, special headphones, or amplifiers are required. All processing is done with software.
- Out Of Your Head works with all existing music and movies. No special encoding or pre-rendering is required.
- All processing is done in real-time.
- Out Of Your Head is compatible with all the major media playback software, including iTunes, Windows Media Player, VLC, and JRiver Media Center.
- Listen to different high-end brands and models of speakers without buying them.
- Watch a movie in full 7.1 surround sound with just your laptop and headphones.
- No need to purchase and install a home theater system. Just use Out Of Your Head software to get a full home theater experience.
- If you already have a high-end home theater or stereo system, you can have personalized measurements done to replicate your system exactly, so you can take your system with you anywhere you can bring your laptop and headphones.
- The sound of the speakers is not synthesized. It replicates real speakers measured in real rooms.
- You can switch between multiple speakers and rooms with a click of the mouse.
- Our Of Your Head allows for the ultimate side-by-side comparison of different speaker systems—all using just software, through your headphones.
- For the ultimate experience, you can have custom measurements done with your ears, for unparalleled realism.
Out Of Your Head is perfect for:
- Condos or apartments with no space to install a home theater system.
- Late-night listening without disturbing anyone.
- Students with no place to install a high-end stereo system or home theater.
- Watching a movie or listening to music at full volume on high-end speakers without disturbing family members or neighbors.
- Listening to mega-buck speakers and amplifiers for a fraction of the cost.
- Experiencing ultra-high-end 7.1 surround sound on speakers too expensive to put in a home theater.
- Listening to a full 7.1 home theater system while you're on a plane!
- Listening to high-end speakers when traveling, in a hotel room, by the pool, on the beach, etc.
- Windows 7, 8 or higher. Requires 64-bit operating systems
- Mac OS X 10.8 or higher.
- Any headphones
- Coming (someday, we hope!) to iOS, and Android
- The retail price Out Of Your Head is $149. This price includes one free speaker preset.
- Each additional preset is $25.
- You must download and install the trial version of Out Of Your Head before purchasing a license.
Black Friday Weekend Sale Available Now! (Sale Ended)
Black Friday Weekend Sale Available Now!(is over)It’s that time of the year again…This year, our Black Friday special is for 50% off all Out Of Your Head software!This is first first time we’ve discounted speaker presets as well as the … Continued
ROON LABS Settings for Out Of Your Head on Windows
Here are the instructions for configuring ROON version 1.3 or later to work with Out Of Your Head.Also ROON 1.3 or later supports multichannel audio files and works great with Out Of Your Head for 5.1 or 7.1 audio files.…
Out Of Your Head Driver Speaker Setup
On some Windows systems, after a major Windows update, Windows can reset the speaker settings of the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio Device.We are not sure why Windows updates can reset these settings, but here’s the steps to set…
Patrick Norton of TekThing.com
In today’s episode of TekThing.com, Patrick Norton mentioned Out Of Your Head software.He stopped by our booth at CanJam SoCal 2017 and listened to our demo. We chatted for a bit, what a nice guy.Check it out:
Review: Handmade Leather Replacement Pads for Koss ESP-950 headphones
I recently received a pair of replacement pads from Vesper Audio for my Koss ESP-950 headphones.While the ESP-950 headphones are truly amazing for the price, the pads have been a weak point. The stock pads are tin, hard, and made … Continued
CanJam NYC 2017 – Show Special – 50% off Out Of Your Head
Get Out Of Your Head for 50% Off!OK. We’re not going to be able to make it to CanJam NYC this weekend, but you can still visit us virtually and listen to our trade show demo. (Just put on your … Continued
Koss ESP-950 to Stax 5-pin Adapter Wiring Diagram
While you can certainly just buy a ready made Koss ESP-950 to Stax 5-pin adapter cable from us, we understand that people might want to save some money and build one themselves. So here’s the wiring diagram so you know…
Work Around for Out Of Your Head “OOYH Output Error” Bug
On the Windows version of Out Of Your Head, some systems when you launch Out Of Your Head, an error pops up saying, “OOYH Output Error.”Unfortunately we are not 100% sure why this happens on a small percentage of systems.But…
ROON LABS Now Supported by Out Of Your Head
UPDATE 02-08-2017 ROON v1.3: With the new ROON 1.3 version, you no longer need to use the Out Of Your Head 16bit mode.To use ROON 1.3 with Out Of Your Head, configure ROON to output to the regular Out Of…
Out Of Your Head Featured by Tyll Hertsens on Innerfidelity.com
We recently exhibited at The Home Entertainment Show Newport 2014. At the show, the one and only Tyll Hertsens stopped by the booth and sat down for a quick demo of Out Of Your Head software. It was honor just … Continued
Mini-headphone Meet in Los Angeles
We were showing Out Of Your Head at a mini headphone meet today in a recording studio on Los Angeles. (Thanks Luis for hosting the meet. Check out the studio website: http://radhaus.us/) It’s always fun to get together and listen…
Out Of Your Head: Reason 004 – Hearing Loss
I was recently contacted by a customer who needed some technical support. After we got the issues fixed, he mentioned that he had Meniere’s disease. Among other symptoms, one of the major symptoms can be hearing loss, sometimes permanent. He…
CES 2014 and Stereophile Magazine
Darin Fong Audio and Out Of Your Head got a mention in Stereophile Magazine’s CES 2014 show report! Kal Rubinson, a reviewer for Stereophile Magazine, came by the booth for a demo. He loved Out Of Your Head! Check out…
Out Of Your Head Pre-Rendered Online Demo
- The quality of your headphones will also greatly affect how well the demo files work. The better your headphones and DAC, the more accurate the simulation. You can't expect $10 ear buds to be able to reproduce the sound of a $30,000 pair of speakers, right? (However, I get great results from a $40 pair of headphones: Koss PortaPro Headphones )
- The effect works best if you hold your head relatively still. The position of the virtual speakers will move with your head. Holding your head still is usually not a problem when you are watching a movie since you head is typically pointed at the screen.
- You should listen to the demos in order, or at least the first three demos so you can make sure it's working. And please read the descriptions so you know what you are hearing.
- You can download any of these audio or video files and play them back on your preferred headphone playback system. To download the MP3 files, just click on the link to the right of the audio player interface.
- For the video files, there is a download link below the embedded video clip. To download the file, right click or control-click (on Mac) and select "Save As..." to download the file to your computer. If you cannot get smooth video playback streaming online, please download the file to your computer and play them back off your hard drive.
- If for some reason you cannot hear the location of the speakers out of your head, it's possible that you either need better headphones, or that you would need a custom measurement session where we measure the sound of YOUR ears at our location in San Diego. This process will guarantee that you will hear extremely accurate speaker virtualization using Out of Your Head software.
You can start with the self running demo that we used at our last trade show. This 6 minute video takes you through various music and movie demo files: http://vimeo.com/122824574
Here's some additional demos and their descriptions:
Individual Virtual Speaker Demo - 8 speakers:
Virtual Speaker Processing On and Off Demo: Processing On-Off Demo
5.1 Music Sample - Pink Floyd: 5.1 Music Sample This demo is a 5.1 surround mix of Pink Floyd's Money from The Dark Side of the Moon album. It really shows off the externalization of the speakers.
5.1 Music Demo - Hotel California: 5.1 Music Demo - Hotel California This is the a Eagles Hotel California 5.1 surround DVD source. It's an example of 5.1 channel music being played through a 5.1 surround speaker system.